Monday, January 14, 2013

Borboleta #10 - "88" Complete !


This may be my second blog entry of the year, but it's my first completed painting of 2013 ! As I contemplate this work, begun in 2012, I have to consider the symbolic meaning of the "88". I wonder what our Creator had in mind with this design. What occurs to me is that perhaps it marks a countdown of paintings for 2013. And if that's the case, then I better get busy - very busy !

My blog entry of Dec 27 shows the initial stages of this painting with the underpainting, or actually the background, since I chose not to go back into it for more detail.


I think the loose and abstract quality of the background pushes it back and brings the butterfly to the foreground more dramatically. Every painting is a matter of push-and-pull, decision-making along the way. As far as showing the developing stages, I became so involved with the piece that I didn't stop to document the sequence. I began with the foreground leaves, then added some light gray washes to the wing, letting that dry before beginning the more detailed work of the butterfly itself. Never using black from the tube, I used a combination of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna, a favorite mixture of my mother's also. The final details were the head, legs and antennae.

I want to mention again my thanks to photographer Hudson Garcia for the use of his photography as reference. Please take a moment to view his fantastic photography of Brazil's wildlife at http://www.hudsongarcia.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Browse other gifts from Zazzle.